Friday 5 August 2016

Malcolm Bluff - Hike 44

Headed north mid July on another beautiful day for a long single day hike. I arranged for a Wiarton taxi to follow me so I could park at the end of my hike and then drop me back at the beginning of my hike.

My 44th Bruce Trail section hike started at the 5.8km mark of the Peninsula section of the trail in Colpoy's Bay.

The trail headed east from Highway 9 through a farmer's fields coming out onto the escarpment around the 7km mark.



For the next 10km or so the trail headed north east along the top of the escarpment with incredible views out over Colpoy's Bay.

Much of this section of trail is contained in the Malcolm Bluff Shores Natural Reserve. The reserve covers approximately 1000 acres of escarpment, pristine lakeshore, wetlands and towering cliffs. In March 2011 the Bruce Trail Conservancy and Ontario Nature joined forces to acquire and preserve this area. There is about 110 meters of elevation gain from the shore at Colpoy's Bay to the highest spot on the escarpment resulting in stunning views!

Here are photos from this section.


A bench and small plaque dedicated to Sharon France who was an avid Bruce Trail hiker but passed away in 2009. The plaque says "We will finish her Trek Living each Day to the Fullest"!



Does anyone know what these small ground level plants are? They were popping up all along certain parts of the trail.











At the 17.1km mark, the trail entered the lands of the Nawash Band of Chippewa First Nations people. The reserve was established in the 19th century and is home to about 600 people. Here are some photos from this section of the trail.

First a warning sign and then a welcome sign!





A large chunk of escarpment rock perched precariously, looking like it could tip at any moment!


I finished up my hike at about the 21km mark as the trail crossed Coveney's Road where I had left my car.

Another incredible day of hiking!

Completed: 748.4km

No comments: