Saturday 8 June 2013

Bruce Trail E2E Adventure - Introduction

I turned 54 this year.

I've lived a fairly active life playing a number of sports including volleyball.

As with many things in life, as they get older they start to fall apart - it's been no different for me as I passed the 50 year-old mark. Lower back and knee problems grew into more major back pain and a torn ACL in my left knee. This has spelled the end to volleyball and many other activities with the exception of walking. Through 2012/2013 I took up walking in full force and walked the streets of town logging more than 800km over 12 months.

All this walking led to an interest in hiking which in turn led to the idea of hiking the Bruce Trail. Over the years I've walked many parts of the Bruce Trail around Owen Sound, the Bruce Peninsula, Kelso and Mount Nemo. Inspired by an in-law who is on his 3rd end to end hike of the trail, I decided that I would start, and hopefully finish, the entire 885km trail(although the total section lengths together add up to 892.4km). I also decided that I would hike it in contiguous sections, starting at Queenstown, hiking section by section through to Tobermory. I have not attached a timeframe to this adventure - the only goal is to finish it at some point in the future.

As a way to keep a record of the adventure I decided on another first - to start my first BLOG about the adventure. My hope with the blog is to keep some of my family and extended family and friends, and anyone else out there who comes across and follows this blog, up to date on my adventure. My plan is to post a new blog for each of the days I hike. My plan as well is to offer some highlights, thoughts and pictures about each of the sections I hike - what I provide may be of interest or inspiration or reference for someone else to embark on their own Bruce Trail adventure.

So with a new day-pack and hiking poles I headed off on Saturday, March 30, 2013 to Queenstown to start my end to end hike of the Bruce Trail.

You will notice that I'm starting this blog in early June, so in addition to this "introductory" blog I will be creating separate new blogs for each of the 5 sections, totalling 80km, that I have now walked to date - so I'm playing catch-up as far as my blog. To date I've been walking a new section every 2 weeks so hopefully going forward I will be posting a new blog as I complete each new section of the trail.

That's it for the intro - check in for my subsequent posts as I continue my Bruce Trail End-to-End Adventure.

No comments: